By now you’ve read a bunch of the usual “looking back on 2017” articles. And you’ve seen the typical “Start Your New Year in This Way” articles.
I’d like to break the mold a bit.
I found 31 mantras you can adopt as themes for 2018 (one for each day of January), following two unique rules:
- Each mantra must come from the title of a song I like (so you’re about to read some embarrassing confessions).
- Song titles must cover a range of mantras for a variety of goals you might be trying to accomplish in 2018.
Let me know what song-titles-turned-mantras I’m missing. I’ve included the videos to all of the songs/mantras that follow at the end of this article so you can easily jam out and get fired up for the New Year.
1. Don’t Stop Believin’ (Journey)
Been an uphill battle in progressing your goals in 2017? Keep on keepin’ on.
2. Fight the Power (Public Enemy)
The man been keepin’ you down? Put some flava flav into your 2018 recipe. Yeaaa Boiyeeee!
3. Dog Days Are Over (Florence & The Machine)
Did your 2017 go to the dogs? No more. Bite back.
4. I Lived (One Republic)
You want to be able to look back on 2018 and say you did this, right?
5. Girl On Fire (Alicia Keys)
This is your year–you go, girl! (Hello, the 90’s called and wants “you go, girl” back.)
6. Better Man (Pearl Jam)
As for us gents, let’s just focus on not screwing up so much. (Just kidding, guys. Sort of.)
7. Roll With the Changes (REO Speedwagon)
Expecting a bumpy ride in 2018 with a lot of change? Take it in stride.
8. It’s My Life (Bon Jovi)
Yes, it is your life. You ain’t gonna live forever. So take charge in 2018!
9. Shine (Collective Soul)
Simple. Inspiring. It’s your year to shine like Pitbull’s dome in a well-lit swimming pool.
10. Never Surrender (Corey Heart, or Triumph)
80’s glam or old school metal–doesn’t matter–keep pressing in the face of adversity.
11. How Far We’ve Come (Matchbox 20)
Make 2018 a year of gratitude. Don’t focus on any lack of progress, just progress made.
12. Runnin’ Down a Dream (Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers)
Make 2018 the year you catch up to that dream.
13. Make It Rain (Ed Sheeran)
In sales? In business? Want mad results in 2018? Are you a meteorologist trying to get it right?
14. Finest Hour (Gavin DeGraw)
Not just for Churchill. You can have yours too in 2018!
15. Treat You Better (Sean Mendes)
Need to treat a loved one better in 2018? Need to treat yourself better?
16. Love Yourself (Justin Bieber)
Make 2018 the year where you accept your imperfections. Have much love for the You-niverse.
17. Shake It Off (Taylor Swift)
Rub some dirt on it and get back in there! 2017, you’re on the bench.
18. Let’s Get It Started (Black Eyed Peas)
No more delay. 2018 starts the ball rolling towards that big goal or transformation.
19. Happy (Pharrell Williams)
You don’t have to overthink 2018. The world needs a lot more of this.
20. Awake My Soul (Mumford & Sons)
Time to live a life of greater meaning. 2018 can be your soulful and soul-filled wake-up call.
21. Brave (Sara Bareilles)
Facing a seriously tough road ahead? I want to see you be brave.
22. You & Me (Dave Matthews Band)
Is 2018 the year of a greater partnership with someone? Bring Gotham to its knees Dynamic Duo!
23. Won’t Back Down (Eminem & Pink)
Push back and climb up in 2018.
24. Fight For Your Right (The Beastie Boys)
Been wronged too often in 2017? Fight for how it should be, for what you deserve, in 2018.
25. On Top of the World (Imagine Dragons)
Hey, there’s nothing wrong with good ol’ fashioned optimism for the New Year.
26. Roar (Katy Perry)
I’ll get my tires slashed for this one, but great song and great mantra–be you and be heard in 2018!
27. Heroes (David Bowie)
I think the late Mr. Bowie would approve of you striving to be one for somebody in 2018.
28. Right Now (Van Halen)
2018 or never. No excuses. Right now–there’s no tomorrow.
29. Don’t Look Back In Anger (Oasis)
Need to leave something behind? Do so. Adele agrees with her “Water Under the Bridge”–a close second for this slot.
30. Beautiful Day (U2)
A daily take on practicing gratitude. Louis Armstrong says “What a Wonderful World”–so why not?
31. Imagine (John Lennon)
The only song that could end such a list. Imagine what’s possible for 2018. Imagine what difference you could make. Imagine all the people….
Here’s the videos to all these songs. And here’s to an inspired 2018!
Looking for inspiration at work? Instead of asking how to find it, ask yourself how you lost it in the first place! We’re so excited for you to Find the Fire with us today!
This article by Scott Mautz also appeared on Inc.com. To read more Inc. articles by Scott Mautz, click here.
disney chuck taylors says
Very good article. I absolutely love this site.
Continue the good work!