COMING IN EARLY 2021
Leading from the Middle
A Playbook for Managers to Influence Up, Down, and Across the Organization
The odds are, if you’re reading this, you’re in “middle management”, even if you don’t love that term. Anyone who has a boss and is a boss (or aspires to be a boss someday) or anyone who must influence up, down, and across an organization, is a “middle manager”, with unique challenges.
And you’ve been underserved and underappreciated for far too long.
The truth is, the “Knowledge Industry” doesn’t like to focus on serving middle managers; it’s not as sexy and doesn’t sell as many books. It doesn’t help that middle managers have been unfairly and unfavorably portrayed in shows like The Office, movies like Office Space, or cartoons like Dilbert, or that they are often the target of layoffs. So instead you get a glut of work spewing forth on how to lead like a CEO or on the other end how to lead from the front lines like a champ, or other specialty leadership slices like how to lead with vulnerability, or how to lead with empathy, or how to be an emotionally intelligent manager (or pick your flavor of the month). All the while, the unique circumstances and needs of those operating in the middle of an organization (the lifeblood of any company) go unaddressed.
This book will change that. Scott shares, with great authority based on years of research, experience, and interviews with over 3,000 successful managers in the middle, that there are unique challenges facing those who operate from the middle. Here’s some of what the book will cover:
- The powerful S.C.O.P.E. acronym, which encapsulates the set of unique challenges those operating in the middle must face
- Advice for all the roles you have to play in the middle
- Specific council on the specific mindset needed to thrive in the middle
- Specific council on the specific skillset needed to thrive in the middle
- Specific advice for how to influence up the organization
- Specific advice for how to influence down the organization
- Specific advice for how to influence across the organization
- Tons of tools to help practice all of this and create new habits
Being in the middle doesn’t mean being stuck in the middle. It means a chance to lead– in every direction. And your playbook is coming in early 2021.
Contact Scott HERE if you’d like to receive the first chapter free when it becomes available.